As promised, I'm going to hand out some awards to some really terrific blogs that I find engaging, uplifting, informative and worthy of acclaim.
But I'm going to put a little twist on my own answers. Instead of telling you seven random facts about myself, in honor of Valentine's Day I'm partnering with Personal Creations to share seven tips for a great date.
Over the past six weeks I've been nominated for two awards. Last month Emily Ladau of Words I Wheel By nominated me for the Sunshine Award and recently Nicole Molders of High Latitude Style nominated me for the Shine On Award. I'm honored that Emily and Nicole think so highly of Spashionista.com! Both awards ask for random facts and blogger nominations so I'll start by nominating 15 of my favorite blogs.
- Not Dead Yet Style
- Une Femme d'un Certain Age
- Fort Smith Stylista
- Tea Time With Trina
- Highland Fashionista
- Over 50 Feeling 40
- The Style Crone
- The Rich Life on a Budget
- Terry's Two Cents
- Sublime Mercies
- Fashion Love by Pam
- Bold Blind Beauty
- Small Disciplines
- Spy Girl
- That Girl in the Wheelchair
If you accept your nomination, you must acknowledge and link to the nominating blogger, display the Shine On Award graphic somewhere on your page, list seven random facts about yourself, and nominate 15 other bloggers to receive the award. The Sunshine Award has similar criteria, the difference being you must provide 11 random facts and nominate 11 bloggers. I know I'm cheating but my list of nominees richly deserve both awards! In fact, I found it difficult to limit my list to 15.
As part of the Shine On Award, and in conjunction with Personal Creations, I want to share seven tips for friends and lovers to enjoy a great Valentine's Day.
- Connect with someone. It's become very trendy to bash Valentine's Day, especially if you happen to be unattached on February 14th. Instead of bashing the holiday and resigning yourself to loneliness and depression, make plans to get together with a friend to do something fun.
- Can't get out of the house? Have a Skype date. There no excuse anymore to hermit yourself away. Thanks to social media long-distance relationships are more common than ever and have the potential for profoundly rewarding interaction between two people. You can now raise a glass and toast each other from thousands of miles away and have it be as intimate as if you were both in the same room.
- If this is your first date or meeting, let a trusted friend know your whereabouts. Many people meet on the internet before they have any face-to-face interactions, and it's very easy to put forth a false persona in cyberspace. Chances are slim that your cyber beau or buddy will turn out to be dangerous in real time - but better safe than sorry.
- Be clear about your expectations. Be honest with yourself and the other person about the kind of relationship you expect. Are you looking for a friend, a partner, or a one-night stand? You don't have to be blunt about what you want, but don't fool yourself or mislead someone else.
- Make an effort to look your best. It shows that you have enough respect for yourself and the other person to dress for the occasion. Remember that your clothes speak volumes about who you are and how you approach life. If you show up for a date underdressed, disheveled, or grungy it sends the message that you don't care about yourself and are ambivalent about your date.
- Communication is the most important aspect of any relationship. A great conversation involves more listening than talking. If you really listen to your date instead of just waiting for your turn to talk you will learn a lot about the person you're with. There's no guarantee that you'll like what you hear, but it will go a long way in helping you decide if you're compatible.
- Be yourself. Whether you're hanging out with a friend or having an intimate dinner with the love of your life, it's important to shows them your true nature. If you try to pretend you're something you're not sooner or later the facade will wither away and your partner will feel like they've been played for a fool.
If you have a special someone in your life and you want to give them something lovely that lasts beyond the typical bouquet or box of candy have a look at the selection of unique and beautiful gifts at Personal Creations. They have a wide variety of gifts, some of which can be personalized, to suit every budget.
Next time - Spashionista on the red carpet? Oh yes I did!